What is happening to Uighur
- Over two million Uighur Muslims (mostly men) have been forced into concentration camps which the Chinese first denied existed but now admit calling it “re-education” camps. They are tortured, brainwashed and told to give up Islam.
- Almost 500,000 children are sent to Chinese run orphanages while their parents are still alive and taught to give up Islam in favor of Communism. Women are forced to let men from the Chinese Communist Party live in their homes. China admits sending one million Chinese as “guests.”
- About 5,000 Masjids are being demolished.
- Uighur women are even being coerced into marrying non-Muslim men.
- Constant checkpoints, mandatory spyware apps, and other devices are used by the government to take away all freedoms. China accuses them of terrorism and violence, but the Chinese government is spreading the real terror in the region despite their claims of “re-educating” or “normalizing” the Muslims.
Guidance from the Quran and the Sunnah
“And when it is said to them, do not spread corruption in the Earth, they say, ‘we are only reformers’. Behold, they are the real corruptors, but they do not realize.”
(Quran 2:11 -12)
“None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.”
(Bukhari and Muslim)
We must vocalize our condemnation of China’s actions and demand justice:
“You are the best nation produced [as an example] for mankind. You enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and believe in Allah..”
Who are Uighur Muslims
- Islam has existed in China from the time of the Sahaba, among various ethnic groups, May Allah be pleased with them.
- Uighurs are a mostly Muslim ethnic group from East Turkestan. They exist across national boundaries in the region, with over 10 million in China.
- China occupied East Turkistan about 70 years ago and began sending people from other parts of China to live there. The government began calling this area Xinjiang, which means “new colony”.
Why we must help
- China is trying to erase Islam and Muslim identity from the region.
- Oppression won’t stop at just Uighur Muslims. The Hui Muslims of China are ethnically Chinese in their language and appearance, but now, even they are reporting harassment and persecution by the Chinese government. Even reports of Christians being harassed are now surfacing.
What the Uighur Muslims deserve
Here is the statement endorsed by over 200 American imams, and the list is growing:
“In the Name of God, the Benevolent, the Merciful, All praise is due to Allahﷻ and may the Creator send His blessings and salutations upon our master, Muhammadﷺ, as well as upon his family and companions. We, imams, scholars and community leaders, hereby affirm and declare the following fundamental points:
▪ We ask the People’s Republic of China to free Uighurs from its
concentration camps, return children to their families, and restore their
freedom of religion.
▪ We call upon our neighbors of other faiths to support this demand.
▪ We call upon fellow citizens to stop buying products produced through
slave labor from these camps.
▪ We thank the US government for raising the issue of human rights abuses
and detainment in the concentration camps and ask the rest of the world
to do the same.
▪ We call upon all people to stand in solidarity with the Uighur people on
April 6, 2019 in Washington DC.
Sidenote: If you’re an Imam, scholar or community leader show that you care by endorsing the statement. Click here.
What we can do
- Join the rally in D.C. on April 6 at Freedom Plaza
- Visit SaveUighur.org/Congress to be directly connect with your representatives about Senate bill S.178 & House bill H.R. 649 to save Uighur lives, end concentration camps in China and unite separated families. You will find talking points while calling them.
- Money can’t reach people or families affected by the camps, and it would achieve little.
- We must donate to groups–such as SaveUighur.org which are working to close the concentration camps.
Allah says in the Quran:
Who is it that would loan Allah a goodly loan so He may multiply it for him many times over? And it is Allah who withholds and grants abundance, and to Him you will be returned.
O you who have believed, spend from that which We have provided for you before there comes a Day in which there is no exchange and no friendship and no intercession. And the disbelievers – they are the wrongdoers.
The example of those who spend their wealth in the way of Allah is like a seed [of grain] which grows seven spikes; in each spike is a hundred grains. And Allah multiplies [His reward] for whom He wills. And Allah is all-Encompassing and Knowing.
O you who have believed, spend from the good things which you have earned and from that which We have produced for you from the earth. And do not aim toward the defective therefrom, spending [from that] while you would not take it [yourself] except with closed eyes. And know that Allah is Free of need and Praiseworthy.
And spend [in the way of Allah ] from what We have provided you before death approaches one of you and he says, “My Lord, if only You would delay me for a brief term so I would give charity and be among the righteous.”
So fear Allah as much as you are able and listen and obey and spend [in the way of Allah ]; it is better for your selves. And whoever is protected from the stinginess of his soul – it is those who will be the successful. If you loan Allah a goodly loan, He will multiply it for you and forgive you. And Allah is Most Appreciative and Forbearing.